Thursday, April 28, 2016

THROWBACK THURSDAY - Scrunchies

Growing up in the 90s, it was a given that you'd tie your hair up in a scrunchie if it was long enough. The poofier, the better. I remember there were all sorts of bright colors and frilly lace on them. Watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on Netflix sparked my inspiration for this week's Throwback Thursday.

I loved scrunchies and hair ties with cute little baubles on them. I remember my hair was (and still is) too thick and slippery for one scrunchie to hold up in a decent ponytail by itself. I always had to double up on them and they would lose their elasticity not too long after. I would have tie them three times around my ponytail and the fabric would be pulled so tight, the scrunchie effect was gone. At the time, hair ties with rubberized grips hadn't made their way to the mainstream yet. The side ponytail was huge, but I never tried it because I thought it was too "out there" for my taste. I secretly admired the girls who could pull off that look.

If you're feeling nostalgic, apparently Forever 21 is selling them! Although these aren't as poofy and frilly as the ones I recall.
Scrunchie set from Forever21.com © Forever 21
When I went to Tokyo, I noticed there were quite a few girls still sporting scrunchies but they were more grown up incarnations of the 90s ones. Silky fabric in delicate colors like taupe and peach with a little lace detailing on the edges. Paired with the right outfit, it can still look cute. I guess the scrunchie still lives on!

Do you still wear scrunchies? Were you super excited like me when there were hair ties available with rubberized grips? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment