Tuesday, May 31, 2016

May Favorites

May just flew by in a flash! I can't believe we're at the end of the month already. I almost forgot to do my May favorites! But here I am with this post before the clock strikes midnight!

I have three products that I'm really digging at the moment:

Maybelline Fit Me Concealer Light 10, Essence Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner, Essence Lash & Brow Gel Mascara
Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in Light 10

I've been searching for a good medium-to-full coverage concealer. I wanted to replace my current favorite that I purchased from a store called Muji in Japan. I won't be able to replenish until my next trip and it's unfortunately TBD!

I picked up Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in Light 10 from the Harmon's section at my local Bed Bath & Beyond. Light 10 seemed to be the closest match for my neutral-warm-yellow skin tone. So far, so good. I would consider this to be medium coverage. I bought it mainly to cover up my under eye circles and the occasional breakout. I haven't tried adding a second application of concealer for my under eye area for fear of it looking too chalky. I like to apply my concealer after foundation in case I actually don't need as much coverage. I like to use Lancôme Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup in Matte Bisque II to lightly set the concealer and it seems to last all day. Lancôme must have added more shades in their range since I've purchased my compact a few years back because I can't find an exact match for the name on the shade list.

Essence Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner

Essence really has some amazing gems and affordable ones at that! Essence products are available at Ulta and now Target.

I think their Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner is fantastic! This has a stiff pointed felt tip applicator that's easy to control and doesn't seem like it would fray after a month of use. It's definitely on the thicker side but I don't mind since I have to do thick lines anyway. Winged liner is my jam and I can easily achieve that look quickly by drawing the point then filling in between the lines by laying the applicator parallel to my upper eyelid. It dries pretty fast too so transferring on the rest of my upper lid or lower lid isn't an issue. I have oilier lids and this stuff doesn't budge. No raccoon eyes here! Best of all, the black color is super opaque and dries matte. I didn't have to go over any patchy spots.

Removal at the end of the day takes a little bit of effort but not too much more than a non-waterproof eyeliner. There's a non-waterproof option available. I'm curious about their eyeliner pens but I chose this one since it came with a lot more product.

Essence Lash & Brow Mascara Gel

I've been looking for a brow gel and I think Essence Lash & Brow Mascara Gel fits the bill. My brows have been getting a little unruly lately in between shapings so this helps keep things looking neater. Again, super affordable!

The wand is a traditional bristle brush. The formula has a nice consistency and is a little on the thinner side. It doesn't make my eyebrows feel stiff at all.

I tried one from Rimmel last month and it flaked like crazy even after only an hour of applying. I returned it to Target (super quick returns for makeup, by the way!) I have dark eyebrows so any flakes of any kind are way more obvious one me than someone with lighter ones.

What are your May favorites? Let me know in the comments below!

1 comment:

  1. I've been looking for a new eyebrow gel so I might give that essence one a shot! Also was May just as a crazy month for you as it was for me? I hate that I felt so far behind on the blogging. I put up my favorites as well if you want to check it out :D

    ReplyDelete